Feeling out of sync or sluggish? Stressed with skin problems, pains, aches, or digestive disorders? Failing to lose body weight? It’s time to resort to something that can give you a solution – body detox.
Practiced by various cultures for centuries worldwide, which include Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, detoxification is simply about cleansing, nourishing and resting the system inside out. By eliminating or removing toxins from the body, feeding the body with healthy nutrient, and supporting your health, detoxification can actually help in protecting you against diseases while renewing your ability to ensure optimum health.
Basically, the process of detoxification involves cleaning your blood. This is primarily done by eliminating all impurities from the blood stored in the liver – the organ where toxins are processed for elimination. In addition, the body also excretes toxins through the intestines, kidneys, lungs, skin and lymph. Nevertheless, when the system is malfunctioning or compromised, impurities which are not filtered properly, the cells are adversely affected.
Detox is a natural cleansing method that helps in:
- Resting the vital organs of the body through fasting;
- Stimulates the liver to flush out toxins completely;
- Promotes elimination of wastes and toxins through the kidney, skin and intestines;
- Improves blood circulation; and
- Refuels the body with essential nutrients.
Detoxification also addresses various needs of our cells, the tiniest units of our body.
Is Detox Needed?
Detoxification, today, is a basic need. Every healthy human being should do a detox once in a year. However, it is cautioned that nursing mother, patients suffering from tuberculosis, cancer or chronic degenerative diseases, and children should never do it.
Of late, there are more toxins in and around us than ever before. Detox is critical for our system, especially for those people who have symptoms like:
- unexplained fatigue
- irritated skin
- sluggish excretory system
- low-grade infections
- under-eye bag and puffy eye
- menstrual problems
- mental confusion
While experts suggest a detox program for the first-timers, it is also possible to plan your own detox guideline and follow it for the rest of your life. Noted below are 10 procedures to execute it:
- Eat foods rich in fiber, such as brown rice, fresh fruits, organic vegetables and whole grain food items. Radish, beet, cabbage, artichokes, spirulina, broccoli, seaweed, and chlorella are some of the most beneficial detoxifying foods.
- Keep your liver clean and protected by consuming certain herbs like milk thistle, burdock, and dandelion root. Drink 2 to 4 cups of green tea every day.
- Include nutritious sources of vitamin C in your diet that helps the body to produce glutathione – a compound in the liver that drives toxins away from the system.
- Drink 10 glasses of water daily.
- Deep breathing allows proper oxygen circulation in the body, which replenishes the system.
- Emphasize on positive emotions to eliminate stress.
- Hydrotherapy is a beneficial technique that allows you to de-stress. Take a hot shower for 5 minutes, letting water to run on the back. Follow it by cold water for about 30 seconds. Repeat this thrice before going to bed.
- Sauna bath is excellent to sweat out wastes from the body.
- Dry-brushing your skin can remove toxins too, through skin pores.
- Exercise and sweat it out – the best detox ever.
Consult your physician before going for a detox program or health treatment like natural remedies and herbal supplements.